Society

Pregnant Mom Discovers Dead Lizard In Can Of Tomatoes While Cooking

| by Lisa Fogarty

A pregnant mom in Birmingham, England, discovered a dead lizard inside of a can of tomatoes as she was cooking a curry lunch for her husband and 15-month-old son.

Sanam Hussain, who is seven months pregnant, reportedly began screaming after she saw the creature. Her husband Muhammad Hussain ran into the kitchen to find the lizard floating around in the food, reports BBC.

"My wife was making lunch for me and our 15-month-old son. When she opened the can, she saw something and screamed at me to come through. I saw it was a dead baby lizard," Hussain said. "We are worried about food poisoning. The can was part of a pack of 12. We had already eaten seven of them. Now my wife is off her food. I think we have been put off tinned tomatoes for life."

Mrs. Hussain says she immediately felt sick when she saw the lizard. "It was disgusting. I am in shock. I am so worried about my baby because I am pregnant. I talked to my midwife about it and she said if I feel ill, I should contact the hospital." 

Popular Video

This young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.

Hussain says he purchased the tomato cans at Masala Bazaar, which is an Asian supermarket owned by Euro Foods. Euro Foods has reportedly contacted its Italian supplier to investigate how the lizard got into the cans. 

"This is a major concern," the company said. "We are in touch with the family and are going to collect the offending can and have it analysed to see at what stage of the process the lizard got introduced. Once we have investigated, we will put in controls to stop this happening again."

Two recent incidents have been reported in the United Kingdom involving pests that have been discovered on produce purchased from local grocery stores. In March, a woman found a bunch of bananas bought from a Tesco contained the eggs of a Brazilian Wandering Spider, which is one of the world's most venomous arachnids, reports ABC News. Just this week, another woman says a live spider had survived living inside of a bag of fresh vegetables purchased at a different Tesco, reports The Argus. In that case, an online Customer Services representative via Tesco's website blamed the use of fewer chemicals and pesticides on a "greater chance of pests and insects surviving in crops."

Popular Video

This young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:

Sources: BBC, ABC News, The Argus/Photo Credit: BBC