Parents Say 234 Girls Kidnapped By Islamic Extremists, Not 85 Reported

| by Sarah Fruchtnicht

Parents say 234 girls were kidnapped from a Nigerian school by Islamic extremists last week, not 85 as previously reported by education officials.

Parents told the Borno state Gov. Kashim Shettima that officials would not listen to them and grossly underreported the number of girls missing.

The discrepancy in the numbers was not immediately resolved, The Associate Press reported Monday.

The terrorist network Boko Haram – which translates to “Western education is sinful” – is being blamed for the attack.

A man claiming to be Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the Boko Haram, took responsibility for the bombing of Nigeria’s capital of Abuja that killed 120 people last week. He said nothing off the kidnappings at the Nigerian school.

Dozens of armed gunmen arrived at the the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok in the middle of the night last Monday and abducted students while they slept in their dormitories. They herded girls into vehicles while exchanging gunfire with soldiers.

Parents said officials and military forces have consistently lied about the kidnappings.

Emmanuel Sam, an education official in Chibok, initally said at least 200 girls were taken. That number was decreased to 85 by the end of the week and on Friday officials said all but eight of the girls were set free. The government retracted these reports on Saturday, according to CNN.

About 1,500 civilians have been killed by Boko Haram attacks this year, according to Amnesty International.

Sources: Fox News, CNN