Man Shoots Himself In Restaurant Bathroom

| by Jared Keever
article imagearticle image

An Ohio man is recovering, though likely more from embarrassment than his injury, after he accidentally shot himself in the leg while in the bathroom of a Fairfield Township Chick-Fil-A restaurant on Tuesday. 

Police Sgt. Jim Sourhada spoke with the Journal-News, a southwestern Ohio newspaper, about the incident and said the 45-year-old man, who was not identified by name, was not seriously injured.

Sourhada said the man was pulling up his pants in the restaurant’s restroom around 2 p.m. when the gun accidentally discharged and the bullet grazed his leg. 

The man was able to walk out of the restaurant on his own, Sourhada said, but was taken to a nearby hospital as a precaution. 

Sourhada said the man had a concealed carry license to carry the Glock brand pistol, a model the paper reported as not having a safety. 

That’s not entirely accurate, according to Arland Mills of Freedom Firearms, a nearby gun shop.

The gun in question, Mills told WCPO News, has an unconventional safety system that actually includes two safeties. 

“Two things have to happen,” Mills explained on camera. “The grip safety has to be pressed in and the trigger safety has to be depressed before the gun can fire.”

Mills said the man likely grabbed the gun to move it and instead of resting his trigger finger on the frame of the gun, accidentally brushed the trigger and its safety mechanism, causing the gun to go off. 

“It was truly an accident,” Fairfield Township Police Chief Matt Fruchey told WCPO. “This just goes to show you, carrying a firearm is a tremendous responsibility. And you have the responsibility to yourself and also the other people that are around you.”

Because the incident was deemed an accident, police filed no charges against the man. 

The manager of the restaurant declined to comment on the incident. 

Sources: Journal-News, WCPO News 

Photo Credit: Screen shot from WCPO News report, Flick