North Korea Vows to Cancel Korean War Cease-Fire

| by Sarah Fruchtnicht
article imagearticle image

North Korea has threatened to cancel the 1953 Korean War cease-fire due to new sanctions and U.S.-South Korean joint military drills.

This statement was made by North Korea's Korean People's Army Supreme Command following several reports that the U.S. and North Korean ally China have approved a draft of resolution to “punish” North Korea for its latest nuclear test in February. The agreement would mean Beijing disapproves of Pyongyang's behavior. The draft is expected to be circulated at the U.N. on Tuesday.

Amid concerns that they could reach its goal of having nuclear-armed missiles capable of reaching America, North Korea says its nuclear program is a response to U.S. hostility. Because the Korean War (1950-53) ended in an armistice, not a peace treaty, the Korean peninsula has been, technically, in a state of war for over 60 years.

U.S. lawmakers are aiming to put tougher financial restrictions on North Korea, while North Korea says Washington and others are going beyond economic sanctions and using blunt aggression and military acts. Supreme leader Kim Jong Un warned they would block a communications line between North Korea and the U.S. kept on the border village at South Korea.

The U.N. Security Council will hold closed consultations on North Korea and non-proliferation on Tuesday according to an announcement late Monday evening.

The latest sanctions adopted in January demanded North Korean abandon its nuclear weapons program and stop missile launches. It went so far as to restricting companies and government agencies, including its space agency and several individuals. U.N. diplomats say they do not know what additional sanctions will appear in the Tuesday circulation.

“We have said here many times that China supports the U.N. Security Council in reacting moderately and explicitly objects to North Korea’s nuclear test,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman of the Hua Chunying said.

15 U.N. council members unanimously approved a press statement condemning Pyongyang's nuclear test and pledging further action just hours after their Feb. 12 underground atomic blast.

Source: TIME