After an Arkansas mother posted on social media that a McDonald's toy burned her son, the fast food chain announced Aug. 16 it will remove the item.
Casey Collyar says the McDonald's Step It activity tracker burned her son's arm less than 10 minutes after he put it on, the Independent Journal Review reports.
"If your kids have this happy meal toy do not let them play with it," Casey warned other parents on her Facebook page on Aug. 13. "Cason has a burn after playing with the toy for about 8 minutes. The toy has a red light in it that is powered by the battery on the back that possibly is the cause of the burn."
The post went viral, with more than 125,000 people sharing her words and the photo of her son's burned arm in five days.
"I'm glad I saw this before putting them on my girls," wrote Dori-Lee Lauderdale. "My 4 yr old was a little upset but then I showed her this and she ran and threw hers and her baby sister's toy in the trash."
Casey said multiple parents approached her after she posted, informing her the toy also burned their children.
The Happy Meal toy acts as a pedometer, measuring how many steps the child walks and is worn on the wrist.
It was released in honor of the Olympic Games, which McDonald's is sponsoring, and were only to be available in the U.S. and Canada for four weeks.
Casey immediately got in touch with the McDonald's franchise owner, Michael Hadley, who she said was responsive.
He put her in touch with the fast food chain's safety labs.
"My motive is not to sue McDonald's," she explained. "My motive is to see that the trackers are recalled so that no more children are burned."
Five days after posting about the incident on Facebook, McDonald's released a statement announcing it will remove the toy from its Happy Meals.
"We have taken this swift and voluntary step after receiving limited reports of potential skin irritations that may be associated from wearing the band," company spokeswoman Terri Hickey said, CNN reports. "Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our customers and we are fully investigating this issue."