Mom 'Freaked Out' After Son Finds Syringe At McDonald's

| by Sheena Vasani
a McDonald's restauranta McDonald's restaurant

A 2-year-old boy in Oklahoma allegedly found a syringe in a McDonald's play area March 12.

"And he says 'Mama This!' and I turned around to look at him because he was still behind me and he's holding this used needle in his hand and I freaked out," Haleigh Wilkes, the child's mother, told OKC Fox.

According to Wilkes, when she and her husband told manager about the incident, she shrugged it off.

"She leans forward and she looks at it and she was like, 'Oh I guess we need to clean' and that's all she said," Wilkes said. "She didn't take the needle, she wouldn't apologize."

The family has now reported the incident to the Health Department and refuses to visit that McDonald's again.

“The health and safety of our customers and employees is always our top priority,” a spokesperson for McDonalds said in response to the incident. “We take these matters very seriously, and as soon as we were made aware of the incident, we began to gather facts and investigate. Until we have completed our investigation, it would be inappropriate to speculate further.”

This is not the first time McDonalds has found itself in trouble for potentially endangering people’s health.

On Feb. 8, inspectors discovered cockroaches at a California McDonald's.

“A complaint was received by this department alleging a cockroach was inside a bag of food,” Rachel Janbek, Acting Division Manager at the Health Department’s Environmental Health Division, wrote in an email to Pasadena Now. “The facility was instructed to contact the Health Department once all signs of the infestation are eliminated.”

During a subsequent investigation on Feb. 16, Health Department officials found “a heavy accumulation of cockroach feces on walls where bread is located.”

They are now calling these instances major violations of the municipal health code. Authorities only identify an issue as major when they are considered “critical risk factor violations that pose the highest risk of causing food poisoning or foodborne illness.”

The store was instructed to close the story until the cockroaches were exterminated.

Sources: OKC FoxPasadena Now / Photo Credit: Pasadena Now, Zaldylmg/Flickr

Are you concerned about eating at McDonald's?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%