A Florida man's jeep was engulfed in flames after his Galaxy Note 7 smartphone exploded inside the vehicle.
The incident occurred on Sept. 5. Nathan Dornacher and his wife, Lydia, were at a yard sale purchasing a desk for their 8-year-old daughter, Bonnie, WTVT reported.
While unloading the desk, Nathan had his Galaxy Note 7 charging in the center console of his Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lydia said they had sent Bonnie back to the car with the family’s service dog, but the dog knew something was wrong.
When Nathan went to open the car door, he realized his Jeep was on fire. His Galaxy smartphone had exploded.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Nathan took to Facebook to write about the incident.
Not the barbecue I wanted on my day off. We go to a garage sale to grab a desk for Bonnie get back to the house unload the car leave it running AC on to keep the car cool we were planning on grabbing the dog and Bonnie and heading to Petco, I head back out to the car to grab my phone which was on the charger (me and Lydia always fight over the house charger) go to open the door and see flames inside... open the door and it’s engulfed run inside to get extinguisher and of course not to be found yell at Lydia to call Fire Department and well here is the end result....
St. Petersburg fire crews arrived at the scene and put the fire out. Nathan said he had made several upgrades to his Jeep, which is now totaled.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
The incident comes just days after Samsung recalled the smartphones in 10 countries, after 35 instances of Galaxy Note 7s catching fire or exploding were reported.
Samsung issued the following statement:
We are aware of the incident and we are working with Mr. Dornacher to investigate his case and ensure we do everything we can for him. Consumer safety is Samsung's highest priority. With regard to the Galaxy Note7, we are asking owners to take advantage of the Product Exchange Program announced on Friday of last week. The program offers Note7 owners the opportunity to exchange the phone for a new one. More details on the program can be found at http://www.samsung.com/us/note7exchange/.
There have been no reports of injuries caused by the smartphones exploding at this time.