Society

Man Dies After Drinking Whole Bottle Of Tequila For Bet (Photos)

| by Michael Doherty

A man in the Dominican Republic has died of alcohol poisoning after drinking an entire bottle of tequila to win a bet.

Kelvin Rafael Mejia, a 23-year-old father of one, died after downing a full bottle of tequila in one gulp at a nightclub to a win a $630 bet. Moments after drinking the liquor, Mejia reportedly collapsed in the club's bathroom, and needed to be taken to a hospital, where he later died, The Telegraph reports.

Images and video of Mejia completing the challenge have been shared on social media. Friends can be heard cheering as Mejia drinks the tequila straight from the bottle before needing to be helped up by two men.

Mejia was the father of a 2-month-old daughter. Sandra Perozo, Mejia's aunt, said that she hoped her nephew's death would remind young people that "not everyone who says they are a friend is really your friend."

Popular Video

This young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.

Vacca Lounge in La Romana, where the incident took place, has been temporarily closed for an investigation. Elis Gomez, the nightclub's owner, has reportedly said that Mejia was a regular at his club, and that he had initiated the bet that ended his life.

Mejia approached a group that was betting money on how much tequila they could drink in one gulp, and asked if he could join, according to News.com.au. He reportedly fell unconscious soon after being given his money for winning the bet.

The club said in a statement it had nothing to do with the bet, and that it was not something sponsored or organized by the club.

"The only contests we ever do are dance contests or costume contests, with the award of bottle of champagne or other drink," said Vacca Lounge.

Popular Video

This young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:

Mejia's cause of death was determined to be alcohol poisoning, and no arrests have been made in the incident.

In a similar incident in 2014, a man in Nepal died three weeks after drinking an entire bottle of whiskey in five minutes to win a bet.

Pancharam Bishwokarma, 47, died after a friend bet him to drink a full bottle of Royal Stag whiskey, on the condition the friend pay the $7.75 for the bottle.

The liquor caused damage to Bishwokarma's internal organs, with medical complications that led to his death.

"We found that he had consumed the concentrated alcohol, which was 42 percent, without any food, finishing it in five minutes," said Dr. Pashupati Chaudhry. "It damaged his vital organs."

Sources: Daily Mail, News.com.au (2), The Telegraph / Photo credit: Daily Mail

Was the club responsible for Mejia's death?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%