Man Accidentally Sets House on Fire While Killing Bed Bugs (Video)

| by Michael Allen
article imagearticle image

An unidentified homeowner accidentally set his Woodbury, N. J., house on fire while trying to kill some bed bugs on June 11 (video below).

According to police, the man used a space heater, hair dryer and a heat gun in an attempt to kill the insects.

However, heat guns can reach a temperature of 1,000 degrees and are normally used to strip off woodwork, reports NBC Philadelphia.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire on the second floor of the house but had to return after the fire somehow reignited.

"A half hour after they left, just more flames, more smoke," neighbor Thomas Lanigan told My Fox Philly. "Its just sad, it's devastating to them."

The homeowner and four firefighters suffered minor injuries in both fires, which were ruled to be accidental by the Gloucester County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Source: NBC Philadelphia and My Fox Philly