Mom Vows Never To Eat Pistachio From Tesco Again After Finding Dead Maggot In Bag

| by Khier Casino

A mother was horrified to find a dead maggot and half eaten pistachio in a bag of nuts she purchased from Tesco.

Marice Barnes, 20, vowed never to eat a pistachio from Tesco again after making the gruesome discovery, which was found in the bag bought from her local store in Heywood Grove, Sale, reports Manchester Evening News.

To make the situation even more unpleasant, it appears the maggot had eaten its way through half of the pistachio before dying.

“I was on the phone to my friend and I started eating them and then I thought ‘this one looks a bit funny’ and I pulled out a little thing and then realised it was a maggot,” said Barnes. “It had eaten half the nut and then died inside it. It turned my stomach, it was disgusting.”

Barnes reached out to Tesco customer services and was told to take the nuts, which had an expiration date of September 9, back to the store to get a refund.

“I can’t believe that’s all they said,” said Barnes. “It’s disgusting. It makes me sick just thinking about it. They need to make sure this doesn’t happen to anyone else. The way they reacted they just didn’t seem to care.”

A Tesco spokeswoman said: “We set ourselves very high standards for the safety and quality of our food. Our Customer Service Team have apologised to the customer and advised them to return the product to the store so we can investigate. We will keep them updated with our findings.”

This is not the first time an unlucky Tesco customer got a nasty surprise.

On Feb. 3, 2013, a man from Cockfoster, United Kingdom, claims to have found a maggot in a Tesco pistachio. He posted a complaint on the Tesco Facebook page and was reassured that the store's “supplier takes extra care to make sure that insects can't get into our products. They place fly screens on doors and windows, and electronic fly killers at regular intervals around the production areas. They lay insect traps, which they check regularly for any signs of insect activity. We also back this up with regular inspections by a pest control firm.”

Another customer took to Twitter to post a photo of a dead maggot found inside a bag of Tesco pistachios that her kids were eating.

@Tesco just found dead cooked maggots in a bag of Pistachio nuts my children were eating! I feel violently sick

— Gemma Froomes (@gem_froomes) January 26, 2014

Tesco responded by saying:

@gem_froomes Ewww! I'm so sorry. Please can you bring the foreign body back to store with the packaging and receipt? We'll sort this out.

— Tesco (@Tesco) January 26, 2014