Convicted felon O.J. Simpson is set to be released from prison in 2017 and may soon be the star of a reality TV show series of his own.
The earliest prison release date for Simpson could be in October, as he has been in prison for nine years of his 33-year sentence. His parole hearing is set to take place in July, Daily Mail reports.
Reality TV production firms are reportedly eager to sign Simpson and produce shows such as a documentary and a televised interview featuring the former NFL star.
"Some producers are getting ready to scramble to sign him," reports TMZ. Several TV production companies, agents and platforms have reportedly shown interest in having Simpson featured.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
It's possible the show could be a pay-per-view event, the producers said, as public opinion is so decidedly against Simpson. A public backlash is likely if they aired the show on a regular channel, they said, and advertisers are unlikely to be interested in sponsoring the show.
But TV shows about him have been popular, including the drama "The People vs. O.J. Simpson" and the Oscar-winning documentary "O.J.: Made in America."
The 69-year-old felon could be out of prison as early as Oct. 1. His parole board is expected to approve his release due to his age and for having been a "model prisoner."
Simpson has been serving his time at Lovelock Correctional Center, a Nevada medium-security facility, since 2008.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
That was the year he was found guilty of 12 counts of robbery, kidnapping and assault with a dangerous weapon, among other charges.
The former NFL star and armed co-operatives stole Simpson memorabilia from collectors Alfred Beardsley and Bruce Fromong in November 2007 in Las Vegas.
Simpson claimed the collectors had, in turn, stolen possessions of his. He also said he did not know his fellow companions were armed.
His conviction took place exactly 13 years to the day he had been acquitted of killing his ex-wife Nicole Brown-Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman in a highly publicized 1995 trial.
Two years later, a civil court jury unanimously ruled he was liable for battery against Brown-Simpson and Goldman, as well as the wrongful death of Goldman.
He was ordered to pay a total of $33.5 million in restitution, to be divided between Goldman's family and Brown-Simpson's children.
While the Goldman family received $500,000 from a 1999 sale of Simpson's possessions, the law forbade them from claiming his $25,000-a-month NFL pension.
Simpson was on the verge of releasing a book and TV special titled "If I Did It" in an attempt to generate income, but both were canceled following a public backlash.