A woman in Bastrop, Louisiana, is facing criminal charges after two of her children died in a house fire while she was out getting her hair done.
According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, 21-year-old Ciarria Johnson left her home around 1 p.m. on Monday afternoon for a hair appointment. Her 4-year-old daughter Ta’shae and 3-year-old son Clifton remained at home unattended.
Two gas space heaters were left on in the house while Johnson was gone, and one of the heaters caused nearby flammable material to catch fire some time early that evening. The entire house became engulfed in flames, and the children did not make it out alive.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Johnson told authorities that she had arranged for a neighbor to look after her kids, but it was ultimately discovered that no arrangements were ever made. “Investigators later determined that Johnson, in fact, had made no such arrangements and that she had returned home only after being contacted about the fire,” state fire marshal Deputy Chief Brant Thompson said.
“It's really just heart wrenching, you know?” neighbor Johnny Hall told CNN. “I don't know what else to say.”
Johnson was arrested on two counts of negligent homicide.