A Chinese man allegedly blew up an entire hospital ward when he decided to smoke a cigarette inside a high-pressure oxygen chamber.
According to a hospital spokesman, Liu Hung had already undergone one treatment on a head wound, which had worked well.
The 65-year-old man was put inside the hyperbaric chamber at the Nanxiong People’s Hospital in south-eastern China’s Guangdong province to help the head wound heal more quickly.
It is believed that once the doors of the chamber were closed, Hung took the opportunity to sneak a cigarette break, as smoking was not allowed within the hospital.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Instead, however, it is believed that the cigarette set fire to the bed linens. When the fire reacted with the oxygen-rich atmosphere within the small chamber, an inferno was created.
The ensuing explosion killed Hung and destroyed the hyperbaric chamber.
According to the firemen and the health and safety experts who investigated the explosion, Hung’s body had been completely charred. They also reportedly found a melted lighter within the chamber.
Now, Hung’s family is demanding to know why his lighter hadn’t been taken away.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Hung’s son said that his father’s body was “scorched, he looked just like a roasted pig. It was the worst thing I have ever seen and was absolutely unbearable.”
The hospital has admitted responsibility in not warning Hung that smoking or taking a lighter into the chamber could be dangerous.
The hospital is reported to be in negotiations with his family over compensation.