Society

Two People Robbed at Gunpoint at State Fair After Event is Declared Gun-Free

| by Lina Batarags

After a North Carolina State Fair was declared to be a “gun-free” zone, two people were reportedly robbed at gunpoint as they left the fair.

Police said the robbery occurred at around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, when two people who were walking back to their car were accosted by men in a tan or cream colored Lincoln car.

Popular Video

SNL is not a fan of the Trump administration, and it shows with every new skit they produce. Do you think they need to tone it down?

The attackers reportedly brandished handguns and took the victims’ wallets.

In a court ruling earlier this month, Wake County Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens ruled against allowing concealed firearms at the state fair, saying that it would be “unwise and imprudent” to allow concealed weapons at the event.

Popular Video

SNL is not a fan of the Trump administration, and it shows with every new skit they produce. Do you think they need to tone it down?

As The Blaze reports, opponents of the gun ban blamed Stephens and other officials for the robbery, and even claimed that the ban was illegal in the first place.

Paul Valone, president of Grass Roots North Carolina, told Guns.com that “By announcing to violent predators that people attending the North Carolina state fair would be unable to protect themselves, the responsibility for this armed robbery of fair-goers lies squarely with Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler."

Valone claims that Troxler “illegally banned concealed” weapons at the fair and that Stephens “willfully misinterpreted the law to impose his own worldview.”

Valone had argued the case to Stephens that the state fair gun ban violated a law passed by the state legislature that expanded concealed carry rights.

While Stephens acknowledged that allowing concealed weapons “may chill crime,” he upheld the ban.

“As we’ve seen time and again, gun-free zones are dangerous places for law-abiding citizens,” said Valone, in relation to Saturday’s robbery.

On Wednesday afternoon, Raleigh police spokesperson Laura Hourigan told The Blaze that one person, Kamonti Yasmin Blackwell-Price, had been arrested in connection with the robbery.

The investigation is reported to be ongoing; Hourigan indicated that further arrests may be made.

Sources: The Blaze, Guns

Photo Sources: Concealed Nation, QPolitical