A 3-year-old toddler in Manchester, Tenn., is in the hospital today after having accidentally shot himself in the head with a relative’s gun on Saturday night.
According to the police report, the child was at home with his mother and aunt when the aunt laid her gun on their bathroom countertop while using the restroom. In a rush to tend to her son in the other room, the aunt hurried out of the restroom and forgot her firearm.
Police say the 3-year-old got ahold of the .380 handgun and shot himself in the head while his older sister was running bath water for him.
The sister claims she thought the gun was one of her brother’s play guns and paid no attention to him handling it, until the gun discharged. According to detectives, the bullet penetrated the skull and exited the toddler’s head.
The child was conscious as he was flown to Vanderbilt Medical Center. He was listed in critical condition upon arrival. Doctor’s described the boy as the “luckiest kid on earth” and affirmed that he has a fighting chance to live.
Investigators will meet with the District Attorney on Monday to discuss the case and decide whether any charges will be pursued.