Society

Woman Killed In Great White Shark Attack

| by Jordan Smith
Doreen CollyerDoreen Collyer

A 60-year-old grandmother was killed in an attack by a great white shark off the west coast of Australia June 5.

Doreen Collyer was diving with a 43-year-old man when the fatal attack occurred, according to media reports.

She had been in the water for about 25 minutes when she was attacked.

John, her diving buddy, said he felt something swim close by him while in the water. When he came to the surface, he noticed Doreen had been badly attacked.

Popular Video

This judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:

He managed to get her back onto the boat, and nearby fishing boats came to help. However, the university lecturer died of her injuries.

The fishermen who came to assist estimated the shark was bigger than their boat, which was about 16 feet long.

“Doreen was a beautiful person and everyone loved her. She was a devoted grandmother, mother and loving wife,” said David, Doreen’s wife, according to the Sun.

Doreen had recently secured an advanced diving certificate.

“She was a very experienced diver and she loved diving. She used to go out every week as much as she could. It was something she really enjoyed,” David added.

Tributes to Doreen came in from university colleagues and students.

“Doreen was the director of postgraduate studies and a lecturer with the School of Nursing and Midwifery. She was a much loved and respected colleague, mentor and teacher,” said Arshad Omari, acting Vice Chancellor of Edith Cowan University.

The Western Australian government has declared the shark a public safety risk, meaning it can be killed.

“It was estimated to be [over 18 feet] long and if a shark like that stays in the vicinity, it is a continuing threat,” Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett said.

Barnett defended the decision to kill the animal, just days after another shark was killed following the death of a surfer in a shark attack at a nearby beach.

“We’re trying to balance the views of the public, but public safety will always come first,” he added.

Barnett said there would be no return to a controversial so-called catch and kill policy, when lines with bate were kept in the water permanently with the aim of catching sharks.

Environmental groups protested.

“The program was tried, it was divisive in the community ... but it did not work,” Barnett told ABC.

Sources: The Sun, ABC / Photo credit: The Sun

Should sharks that have attacked humans be killed?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%