Four-Month-Old Child In Ohio Burned By Firework In Playpen

| by Amanda Schallert

A 4-month-old child in Ohio was severely burned in her playpen Friday night after a neighbor’s fireworks hit her during Fourth of July celebrations.

Aubree McCormick’s face was burned and she was flown to Akron Children’s Hospital for treatment that night in critical condition, according to WLWT.

A witness of the incident said that a neighbor’s 10-year-old child kicked over a firework that had already been lit, and that the firework went off, flying into Aubrey’s playpen two houses down the street, officials said. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

"It hit the window on the front porch and it landed in my granddaughter's bed (rock-n-play) and all I could do was just react,” said Carol McCormick, Aubree’s grandmother. “I didn't think, I reacted. I grabbed hold of the firework and then the bed caught on fire that she was laying in."

McCormick added that she burned her fingers while trying to save Aubree from the fire.

The McCormick family has said Aubree is still in critical condition.

Source: WLWT