A 4-year-old girl died in a fire that was started by a charging hoverboard .
On March 10, 4-year-old Ashanti Hughes died from injuries sustained in a fire that was started by a hoverboard that was plugged into an outlet recharging, the Daily Mail reported. The fire was ruled accidental.
"They heard some sizzling and crackling in the hoverboard and shortly thereafter, it exploded in flames," Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline said in a statement, according to CBS News. He added that hoverboards are "notorious for starting fires."
Charles Allen said he saw young girls who were screaming in the second story of the building as the smoke and fire began spreading.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Somebody was trying to kick out the window because of the smoke or whatever and then all of a sudden I hear a child hit the ground -- boom," Allen told WHP-TV.
Allen ran over toward 4-year-old Ashanti Hughes and picked her up.
"Everybody was frantic, hollering, screaming and what not, so I was taking her to the ambulance," he recalled.
Another three girls were also rushed to a nearby hospital. They were all later transferred to Lehigh Valley burn center, where Ashanti died from her injuries, PennLive reported.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
"My granddaughter, I can't replace her," Mark Hughes, Ashanti's grandfather, told PennLive. "The pain is so deep. I'm so hurt. My soul is hurt."
A firefighter also lost his life that day.
Fire Lieutenant Dennis DeVoe was responding to the call when he was struck by another vehicle at an intersection, the Daily Mail reported.
The driver was identified as Khanyae Kendal, 19. He was reportedly driving a stolen vehicle, and fled from the scene after the crash.
DeVoe was rushed to a nearby hospital, but died from his injuries. Kendall was later arrested and charged with driving under the influence, aggravated assault with a motor vehicle, receiving stolen property, accidents involving injury, and other charges.
A majority of the firefighters who battled the blaze had just returned to work from a funeral of a retired firefighter who passed away from cancer. The department was devastated by the loss of DeVoe and Ashanti.
"What we saw was a horrific scene," Harrisburg Police Captain Gabe Olivera said of the crash that took DeVoe's life.
DeVoe, a married father of four who spent 21 years with the Harrisburg Fire Department, was one of two firefighters who helped pull a man out of a burning house in February, PennLive reported.
"It's what we signed up for," DeVoe said at the time. "I'd want someone to do that if it were one of my family members."
Enterline praised DeVoe for his service.
"His passion for the fire service made each of us strive to be better in all we do," Enterline said. "Our department and the City of Harrisburg are better because of his service.
"Our hearts are broken and we grieve for the loss of our brother."