The Federal Bereau of Investigation claims that a memo dated March 22, 1950, detailing a flying saucer crash in New Mexico, was simply a second-or third-hand report that the agency never followed up on.
The memo addressed to J. Edgar Hoover from Guy Hottel, who was then head of The FBI’s Washington, D.C., field office, said this on the subject:
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
"An investigator for the Air Force stated that three so-called flying saucers had been recovered in New Mexico," Hottel's memo reads. "They were described as being circular in shape with raised centers, approximately 50 feet in diameter. Each one was occupied by three bodies of human shape but only 3 feet tall, dressed in metallic cloth of a very fine texture. Each body was bandaged in a manner similar to the blackout suits used by speed fliers and test pilots.”
Hottel then stated that no further investigation was attempted.
The memo was released after the 2011 Freedom of Information Act, and the digitized version has received nearly one million views. The FBI said that media outlets "erroneously reported that the FBI had posted proof of a UFO crash at Roswell, New Mexico [in 1947] and the recovery of wreckage and alien corpses."
In a statement the FBI made on its blog this week, they admitted the memo subject was very unusual, and “Yet, it is only a single page, relaying an unconfirmed report that the FBI never even followed up on.”
They also mention that, dated three years after the well-known crash at Roswell, N.M., there is no reason to believe this report is related to the 1947 incident.
The blog post did say that Dir. Hoover ordered agents to investigated claims of flying saucers and extraterrestrials at the request of the Air Force.
“That practice ended in July 1950, four months after the Hottel memo, suggesting that our Washington Field Office didn’t think enough of that flying saucer story to look into it.”
Some believe the memo is connected to a hoax circulating at the time, however the FBI said it had no information connected the memo to the theory.
The Daily Mail said it spoke with Top Secret guru Mark Allin about the hoax. “The memo is based on a hoax that was carried out by a convicted con man named Silas Newton, and it was debunked years ago.
“It's a pretty good and interesting hoax story, to be certain, but there is no value in it beyond that.”
The FBI digital vault says Silas Newton, who died in 1972, was a "wealthy oil producer and con-man who claimed that he had a gadget that could detect minerals and oil." He allegedly made several claims of UFO sighting in the New Mexico desert.
Agent Hottel died in 1990.