Society

Father, Seven Children Killed By Generator Used After Power Company Cut Off Electricity

| by Tony Tran
Crime Scene.Crime Scene.

Tragedy struck for a family in Maryland after a father and his seven children apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their own home. 

The likely source: a generator the family was using after the power company cut off their electricity. 

Police said they suspect no foul play.

Police Chief Scott Keller told reporters that seven of the victims were children between the ages of 6 and 16. They have yet to be officially named as they are searching for a next of kin.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Rodney Todd, 36, was the adult who died according to his parents, Bonnie and Lloyd Edwards, who were present at the scene. They told reporters he had seven children, five girls and two boys.

Bonnie said the children were Tybia Todd, 6, Zycheim Todd, 7, Tyania Todd, 9, Tybree Todd, 10, Tykira Todd, 12, Cameron Todd, 13, and Tynijuiza Todd, 15.

Lloyd said the police informed them that Rodney had died.

"It was disbelief," Lloyd said. "It's so hard. How can you understand something like that?"

He also told reporters of how the electricity had been cut off in the house due to unpaid bills.

The power company did not comment on whether or not it cut the power off as the issue was still being investigated.

Police officials discovered the family dead in the home in Princess Anne, Maryland, after responding to a call on the block. 

One officer on the scene, Keller, said that he knew immediately that "there weren't any live people in there," reports Daily Mail. 

The Edwards family lauded their son’s actions saying, "to keep his seven children warm, (Rodney) bought a generator. It went out and the carbon monoxide consumed them."

"I don't know anyone his age who would have done what he did for his children," Bonnie said of her son. "I was so proud to say he took care of seven kids."

More than 400 people in the U.S. die yearly due to carbon monoxide poisoning, reports Daily Mail, which is found in smoke from fuel burned in engines as well as fireplaces and furnaces.

Source: The Daily Mail

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons