Bed Bug Infestation Leads To Family's House Fire

| by Tony Tran
article imagearticle image

A Columbus, Ohio family is now homeless after an attempt to rid their house of bed bugs went awry.

A family of six escaped the blaze that engulfed their home on Wednesday, according to local station WBNS 10.

According to officials, three adults and three children were in the house when the fire began at around 1:00 a.m. The blaze started when the owner’s son attempted to rid the family couch of bed bugs using a lighter.

“We sprayed the couch earlier but, uh, some alcohol you buy from the drugstore which kills them on contact, and he was chasing one down with a lighter and the couch caught fire,” said Fred Horne, the owner of the home.

As the couch caught fire, the family attempted to move the couch to their front lawn but it got stuck in the doorway causing the entire house to go up in flames.

“My beard started stinging, my eyebrows,” said Horne, describing when he realized the family needed to leave. “I said, 'We got to make it out the back door.'”

Horne expressed his frustration - not over the fire but over the problem plaguing the entire community.

“I tell ya, the whole community’s full of bed bugs.”

Bed bugs are small, brown insects that survive by drinking the blood of animals and humans. Their preferred habitat are warm areas like the insides of houses and bedding, which is why infestation of the animals are so common. Signs of a bed bug infestation include skin rashes, itchy areas on your body when you wake up, and blood on your bedding.

Source: WBNS 10 Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons, Ada Be/Flickr