A Swedish family actually lived what is probably many people’s worst nightmare after they discovered that a 15-inch monster rat had chewed through the wood and cement into their home and burrowed itself behind their kitchen sink.
This “Viking rat” was discovered by the Bengtsson-Korsås family at their Solna home after their cat Enok refused to enter the kitchen. The family already had suspicions that there was a mouse in their home after hearing noises, so when they went to empty the trash bin, they were shocked to find that a monster rat had made itself a home.
“It was right there in our rubbish bin, a mighty monster. I was petrified. I couldn't believe such a big rat could exist,” said Signe Bengtsson-Korsås. “I couldn't help but do the old classic and jump on the kitchen table and scream.”
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Signe’s husband Eric said he didn’t believe his wife at first, but when he finally came in contact with the rat himself, he was horrified by how large it was.
“It was quite a shocking experience,” said Eric Bengtsson-Korsås. “By the time I got home, the rat was so domesticated that it just sat under the kitchen table.”
The family quickly realized that the rat had actually came in through the basement, chewed through the wood and cement, and then made its way into the kitchen to chew through the pipes under the sink, ultimately causing a flood in the home.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Exterminators were called to kill the monster rat, and a day after putting three giant rat traps down, one of them went off. Shockingly, the rat wasn’t immediately killed. It ran around with the rat trap around its neck for some time before it eventually died.
"In the end we managed to find it dead, it had slowly strangled," said Eric. "Then we felt a bit sorry for it."