Teenage Girl Dies After Inhaling Dust-Off

| by Dominic Kelly

A 19-year-old girl in Eugene, Ore., died after inhaling the household product Dust-Off in an apparent attempt to get high.

Shayla Ream’s family found her unconscious in her bedroom next to a puddle of her own vomit. Despite her grandfather’s attempts to give her CPR, the paramedics arrived and she was in critical condition. Early the next morning, Ream was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Ream’s family says that they’re sure the girl died from inhaling the Dust-Off, and the doctors agree. Now, Shayla’s sister Cassandra says she wants to make sure that other teenagers know the real dangers of doing what her sister did.

“I wouldn’t want this to happen to anybody else,” said Cassandra. “I really care about other people and for their sake and I know that my sister would care about them.”

Cassandra went on to explain just how her sister died.

“It coated her lungs as she huffed the inhalant called Dust-Off,” explained Cassandra. “When that happened it left no more oxygen to her brain, which shut off all of her organs. And it only happened in a matter of minutes.”

The family says that Shayla was “just starting to become somebody,” after completing her first semester in college and starting down the path to becoming a wedding planner.

Statistics show that inhalants are the fourth most abused substance behind alcohol, tobacco and marijuana.