Health

Pittsburgh Boy Who Smoked Synthetic Marijuana Dies

| by Mark Berman Opposing Views

A Pittsburgh boy who got sick after smoking synthetic marijuana, so sick that he needed a double-lung transplant, has died.

In August 13-year-old Brandon Rice smoked the substance sold under the brand name K2. Shortly afterwards he developed nausea, a full body rash, headaches and high fever. It seems the synthetic marijuana caused a chemical burn in his lungs.

On September 28 he underwent the transplant. Things were going well initially, but then he apparently developed an infection. His aunt told WTAE-TV that the boy died Thursday morning.

“Everything started going down further this morning, so they made the decision and his whole family was there. We were all around him. He went peacefully,” said Kristen Rice.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Brandon's father said his son got the synthetic marijuana from an older friend who was able to legally buy it in a store. It has since been outlawed in Pennsylvania.