Dog Rushed To Pet Hospital After Eating Ecstasy Pills

| by James Brannigan
Blue the dogBlue the dog

A dog in Bradford, England, was admitted to a pet hospital after reportedly snacking on a bag full of ecstasy pills while out on a walk with his owner. 

Blue, a 17-month-old whippet, was being walked by his elderly owner in West Yorkshire when he sniffed a plastic bag filled with blue, heart-shaped pills and wolfed it down, according to People Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA), a U.K. veterinary charity.

His owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, rushed him to Bradford's PDSA pet hospital.

“When Blue arrived, his condition was critical. He’d collapsed and the toxins were causing organ failure," Miriam Wilson, head nurse at PDSA, said, according to the PDSA's Oct. 21 press release. “Blue was put on an IV drip and received activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. Without the treatment, he would not have survived the night.”

The incident was reported to police, and they took the illicit drugs. Luckily, Blue has recovered from the incident. On Oct. 21, however, the PDSA warned pet owners to be vigilant while walking their dogs.

This isn't the first time a curious pooch found its way into some illicit drugs.

In August, animal control took a small dog named Little Guy from a Georgia man after it was found that the dog had ingested methamphetamine, according to The Smoking Gun. While at the vet, Little Guy was “extremely nervous and constantly paces and panting and restless,” veterinarian Kevin Chapman told investigators at the time.

In March 2014, a dog in Washington was admitted to the vet after eating marijuana, which can be lethal to dogs in large quantities. 

Then there was the dog who went to a festival in Hertfordshire, England, two years ago with his family and had to leave after eating hallucinogens, reports The Guardian. Luckily the dogs survived in all of these cases.

“There are lots of hidden dangers around the home and garden, as well as out in the wider world, that our pets may sniff out,” Wilson told “If you think they have swallowed something, then get it checked at once.”

Source: Express, NY Daily News, The Smoking Gun, The Guardian, PDSA

Photo credit: Drug Enforcement Administration, Twitter: PDSA