A strange report says that environmental health officials in England were shocked to discover a dead lion in a freezer while doing an inspection at a restaurant.
Reports say that inspectors found the dead lion while looking through the restaurant’s freezer. The dead lion was sitting on top of food that was supposed to be served to customers, and the restaurant’s owner says that he was given the lion by a nearby zoo to feed his pack of dogs.
“When I was working in another area I came across a dead lion in a freezer,” said Ian Brightmore, health protection manager at Chichester District Council. “The food establishment was near a zoo and the owner kept pack hounds so it was food for them. Because the lion was kept in a place where food for human consumption was stored, of course we had to take action.”
“The first thing we do is to seek cooperation in putting things right and this usually works,” Brightmore continued, according to Mirror UK. “In situations where it doesn't we can serve a hygiene improvement notice, which legally requires the owner to make improvements by a certain period of time. If we find something we deem to be dangerous, we can serve an emergency prohibition notice. That means a premises must shut until that problem is resolved.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Most take the decision to voluntarily close so as not to draw attention to the public but for those who refuse, we can go to the court where the magistrate will confirm the notice and turn it into an order. It will then close until we are happy that it's safe to re-open, normally that takes two or three days, although a cockroach infestation can take longer as they're difficult to get rid of. In the most extreme cases, we have the powers of prosecution.”
The Guardian reached out to Ian Brightmore to confirm that the story is true, but the only thing he said was that it happened a long time ago. Now, The Guardian is confirming that the lion incident happened 30 years ago and that it didn’t take place at a restaurant, but a “different kind of food establishment.”