A Kentucky mother says she and her toddler son nearly ate a McDonald's burger with a worm inside it on Aug. 21.
Madison Stephens bought burgers for herself and her 15-month-old son from the McDonald's in Mayfield, Kentucky.
"If I hadn't seen that worm, my son would have eaten that, because it was already on top of his sandwich," Stephens told WPSD. "That's how close he came to eating it."
Stephens is reportedly not the only customer to find worms in food. Lacey Jo Lovett claims she also found one inside her her hamburger at a McDonald's only 25 miles away, in Draffenville.
"There's seriously a problem," said Stephens "They need to hire new employees, or the employees need to be trained properly where they know how to handle their foods."
When Stephens complained about the worm, she was upset at the company's response. McDonald's simply sent her a $10 gift card.
She says that's not enough and wants a health inspection.
"That scared me and as a mom," Stephens said. "I don't want another child to have to experience something like that."
Since then, McDonald's claims it is investigating the situation.
"We are currently investigating this matter," the company said in a statement. "Food quality and safety are a top priority for us. We will continue to take all appropriate measures to gather all facts and resolve the matter."
In England, a mother says she also found either a worm or maggot in her child's Happy Meal in 2015, the Daily Mail reports.
"I'm very fussy about what I eat and when I saw what was in the McNugget I went white," said Nikki Sanders. "'I'm just thankful Emily decided she didn't want her Happy Meal. One good thing has come out of this, though. It's turned me off processed meat. I'm eating a lot healthier now."
Again, McDonald's responded by offering the parents a gift card.
"I don't want a voucher. I want an explanation," replied Neil Sanders.