Sonserea Evans and Brian Mikeals worked together at a Waffle House in Dawson County, Georgia, but now Evans, 43, has been accused of poisoning her co-worker’s drink with methamphetamine.
Deputies said they have obtained surveillance video of Evans disappearing into the restroom to allegedly put methamphetamine into Mikeals’ drink and replace it without him noticing.
The 37-year-old father collapsed on Dec. 23 after consuming the drugs and fell into a coma for four weeks. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, comas are a possible side effect of methamphetamine overdose. Although Mikeals has since woken up, he cannot walk and can barely talk.
"It's the most devastating thing you can ever go through," the victim’s mother, Pam, told WGCL. "I was scared, I was terrified.”
Authorities still aren’t sure what the motive was. "This is low, this is somebody you work with," said Dawson County Capt. Tony Wooten. "We believe, obviously, that it was intentional; that she took the methamphetamine and put it in the cup for him to drink."
Mikeals is recovering in hospital, but his family hopes to transfer him to a rehab center.
"Right now I just have to look ahead," Pam said. "I have to say, "Alright, if he gets his therapy, will he walk again? And I have to keep my hopes up that yes, he can walk again, yes he can talk again, yes he can take his daughter fishing again. If I don't have that hope, I have nothing.”
Evans “was immediately terminated,” Waffle House spokesman Pat Warner told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. She is facing charges of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute and aggravated battery, but she hasn’t cooperated with authorities.
Warner said the restaurant is cooperating. “We are very concerned over this matter and are working with the local authorities to assist in their investigation,” he said. “Our main focus is on our associate who was injured and his family as they go through this trying time.”