Society

Reports: Saudi National is Suspect in Boston Marathon Bombings

| by Jonathan Wolfe
article imagearticle image

Boston police say they have yet to arrest any suspects in the horrific Boston Marathon bombing that occurred earlier today.

Around 4:00 p.m. eastern, the New York Post reported that police had arrested a 20-year-old Saudi Arabian man whom they believed was involved in the bombing. Boston Police denied this report about an hour ago.

“At this time, we haven't been notified of any arrests or anyone apprehended," a Boston Police Department spokesperson said.

Speaking on the New York Post’s earlier report, the spokesperson said "Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from, but it didn't come from us.”

Popular Video

This judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:

Boston police commissioner Edward Davis said the report was simply “not true.”

However, less than an hour ago, CBS also reported that a Saudi man had been taken in by police and is believed to be a suspect.

JUST IN: @johnmillercbs reports that individual is in custody after Boston blast, a Saudi national. Reported cooperative/denies involvement.

— CBS News (@CBSNews) April 15, 2013

Previous reports also noted that 12 people had been killed in the bombing. A White House official said this report is not true either. Speaking to Fox News, the official said that while over 80 people are now reported injured, only two have been declared dead.

The White House is calling the bombing an act of terrorism. “When multiple devices go off, that’s an act of terrorism,” a senior official said. Officials also say it’s way too early to know if the bombing was carried out by a foreign or domestic terror organization.

President Obama spoke on the bombing earlier, saying that all involved in the act “will feel the full weight of justice.”

“Make no mistake,” Obama said. “We will get to the bottom of this and we will find out who did this. We’ll find out why they did this. We will find out who this and we will hold them accountable.”

Obama added that FBI director Robert Mueller and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano are using all necessary federal resources to investigate the crime.

Any new information on suspects or organizations tied to the bombing will be reported as it becomes available. 

Sources: Policy Mic, Politix, TPM