Two men were killed in an explosion in Hopkinton, N.H., when they were allegedly trying to steal fireworks from a business.
WGME reports that Lucas Burke and Ethan Keeler were using a blow torch to break into a metal container that had fireworks inside, according to police.
The two men were killed in the explosion that took place very early on Tuesday morning at New Yard Landscaping. The men reportedly did not have permission to be on the property.
The owner of New Yard Landscaping, Tom Komisarek, told WBZ-TV that the suspected burglars had already loaded some items from the business into a nearby vehicle. He was saddened by the news of what had happened.
“I just want to put my feelings out toward the families of the individuals that are deceased,” Komisarek said. “My thoughts are with them at this point.”
Some local residents heard the early morning blast.
“I heard the boom first and then immediately felt the tremor,” said Janice Farenwald, who lives close to the explosion site, according to CBS Boston. “There was definitely an odor that came through the window, I could tell something was burning, so I thought something must have exploded.”
New Hampshire Public Radio reports that officials said the fireworks were consumer-grade, not commercial-grade.
An investigation is still ongoing, according to New Hampshire State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan.