A North Carolina man has been arrested after he allegedly broke into a home and then kidnapped and attempted to rape a 1-year-old child.
Registered sex offender Alexander Jamond Ezell, 25, is accused of breaking into a Roanoke Rapids home through the front door on July 5, before taking and sexually assaulting the baby, The Associated Press reports.
Halifax County Sheriff Wes Tripp said that the man was later found hiding in the woods near his house, according to WRAL. The baby was found at Ezell's home, and taken to a hospital. The child was reported to have serious injuries and had been sexually assaulted.
Ezell had previously been convicted in 2009 for a sexual battery case in 2005 involving a 5-year-old victim when he was 13, according to WGHP.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"We had checked on him four times in 2017," said Tripp, adding that the last time police had checked on Ezell was in late June.
The man was charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree kidnapping, abduction of a child, attempted statutory rape, indecent liberties with a minor, resisting arrest, and injury to property. He is being held on a a $505,000 bond.
In a similar story in May, a man was arrested after he reportedly kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 4-year-old girl in Delaware, according to The News Journal.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Daniel Santucci, 23, was alleged to have abducted the young girl in April while she was playing outside, and then sexually assaulted her before he dumped her in a pond.
A driver on the road saw the girl and called police.
"I want to thank the victim for her bravery and her resolve," said Col. Vaughn bond of the New Castle County Police. "I also would like to thank once again the good Samaritan who saw this child that night, stopped their vehicle, comforted that child and called 911."
Santucci fled Delaware for Florida on a bus, which violated his probation for a burglary case. Authorities in Tampa arrested the man and police returned him to Delaware in May.
Santucci was charged with first-degree kidnapping, unlawful sexual contact with a person younger than 13, possession of child pornography, first-degree attempted murder. He was being held on a $1 million dollar bond.
Local Michael Vietri, 21, said that the crime has shaken the quiet neighborhood.
"I really didn't picture [the assailant] being a 23-year-old," said Vietri. "I pictured some 45-year-old creep, not a 23-year-old."
"Every parent is outside. It's not for the better, but it definitely goes to show all these parents are more aware now," he added. "You could tell everyone was on edge."