Lawyer Says Client Accused Of Killing 2-Year-Old In Car Crash Abducted And Beaten

| by Kathryn Schroeder

Richard Suter, of Edmonton, Canada, the man accused of killing a two-year-old while driving under the influence, was abducted and assaulted this past Thursday.

The report of the assault and abduction came from Dino Bottos, Suter’s lawyer.

Bottos says Suter was at his home around 11:00 p.m. on Thursday when he heard a loud knock on his door and opened it to find a group of assailants.

“There was a knock on the door and that resulted in Mr. Suter being abducted from his home,” Bottos said. “He was put into a truck or a vehicle and driven away.”

Suter’s wife called 911 after he was taken.

CTV News sources claim the people at Suter’s door were posing as undercover police officers.

The assailants drove Suter to a roadside in south Edmonton where Bottos says he was “severely” beaten.

Suter was left on the roadside by his alleged attackers. He flagged down a passing car who called 911 and EMS took Suter to the hospital.

Suter is still being treated with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

According to a CBC News source, Suter’s thumb had been cut off.

Bottos says this is the second attack on Suter’s family in the last 18 months.

Suter is awaiting trial for the 2013 incident wherein his vehicle crashed into a patio restaurant and struck a family of five. One member of the family, Geo Mounsef, 2, was pinned under the car and died as a result of his injuries. The other four family members survived with non-life-threatening injuries.

Suter faces charges of impaired driving causing death, and four counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm. He is also charged with refusing to provide a breath sample.

The trial is scheduled for October 2015.

Sources: CBC News, CTV News / Photo Source: Global News