Iowa Deputies Tased Man 15 times Before He Died (Video)
A video was released today that shows Michael Zubrod being shocked with Tasers at least 15 times by Worth County Sheriff's deputies in his Iowa home.
Zubrod, 39, was lying on his back while the deputies repeatedly shocked him with their Tasers because he didn't roll over.
The video (below) was recorded by a camera attached to one of the Tasers.
The video footage of the Sept. 22, 2013, incident was released by the state of Iowa only after a lawsuit by The Des Moines Register.
Moments after the video ends, Zubrod reportedly had no pulse.
The deputies had come to Zubrod's home after he was accused of striking his girlfriend, Rhonda Schukei, with a hammer and scissors.
A deputy was allegedly attacked by Zubrod with a pair of needle nose pliers, but there are no videos or medical records to back up that claim by law enforcement.
According to a medical examiner's report, Zubrod died from "cardiac arrhythmia following an altercation with law enforcement in the setting of acute methamphetamine intoxication," notes The Des Moines Register.
Even though Zubrod had been shocked at least 15 times with 50,000 volts, the medical examiner claimed he could not say for sure if that's what killed Zubrod due to the presence of drugs in his body.
Schukei, who had to undergo two brain surgeries and facial reconstructive surgeries, told the Globe Gazette in April that the deputies "saved my life."
Schukei believed that Zubrod assaulted her to due to his schizophrenia and use of illegal drugs.
"[Zubrod would] say, 'What?' and look around trying to find the direction they were coming from," Schukei said. "It was heartbreaking when he didn't take his medication to see him talk to the ceiling or whatever."
Worth County Attorney Jeffery Greve didn't review any records or interview the deputies before clearing them of wrongdoing. Greve based his decision upon talks with a Worth County Chief Deputy and an investigator from the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI).
It was the DCI that refused to release any video, audio, or records from the incident to The Des Moines Register, which then filed a lawsuit. The video and other records of the incident were released as part of a settlement.
WARNING: DISTURBING VIDEO