Minnesota authorities believe that they were able to prevent a terrorist attack when they arrested a man on Friday and charged him with being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Buford Rogers, 24, allegedly had a stockpile of weapons in his mobile home. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has said that more charges could be on the way.
The FBI released a statement saying they think “that a terror attack was disrupted by law enforcement personnel” by arresting Rogers. The statement also said that “the lives of several local residents were potentially saved” thanks to the investigation.
Rogers' attack was reportedly in the “planning stages.” Not very many other details about his plot were available.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
J. Christopher Warrener, the special agent in charge of the Minneapolis Division of the FBI, said that “cooperation between the FBI and its federal, state and local partners enabled law enforcement to prevent a potential tragedy in Montevideo.”
Rogers was previously convicted of a felony burglary. When police searched his home, they found Molotov cocktails, suspected pipe bombs and at least one gun. The AP reported that the gun was a Romanian AKM assault rifle, according to RT.com.
It has been reported that the Minnesota State Patrol, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Bloomington police bomb squad and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources were all involved in executing the search warrant.