Daycare Owner Charged With Burning Toddler After He Soiled His Diaper

| by Lisa Fogarty

A daycare worker in El Dorado, Kansas, has reportedly admitted to burning a toddler in her care and then blaming the incident on her 3-year-old granddaughter.

Mary Ann Garrett reportedly ran an unlicensed daycare operation out of her home and was in charge of 2-year-old Caden Booth when she allegedly sprayed him with hot water from a removable shower head, causing him to suffer from second and third degree burns over 30 percent of his body, reports KWCH.

The toddler spent more than one month in intensive care, according to his mother, and was so badly injured that he had to learn how to walk again.

“There are third degree burns on his lower extremities,” a prosecutor told the judge. “He will have scarring the entirety of his life.”

When Garrett was initially questioned by police, she reportedly blamed her granddaughter for burning the child and police say she even made her spray Booth with shower water so she would think she was responsible.

But police weren’t buying her story. Two months later, they brought Garrett in for further questioning and say she finally confessed.

Police say they believe she hurt the child because he soiled his diaper instead of using the toilet, reports the Daily Mail.

Caden’s mother, who is raising him alone, says he spent one month on pain medications and is now using a feeding tube, but doesn’t have any appetite.

A Go Fund Me page has been created to help cover her medical expenses.

Sources: KHCH, Daily Mail/Photo Credit: