A chihuahua dog mix that was severely burned due to bad blood between its owner and another man was euthanized on June 20, officials at a North Carolina animal hospital said.
Cocoa had to be put down because of the severity of her injuries, WRAL reported.
Her owner, Dominique Clark, let Cocoa out to play in the yard and the dog came back to the door on fire.
"I have leaves in my backyard and I kind of heard her when she rushed into the leaves trying to put herself out," Clark said at the time, according to CBS News. "And she was screaming and hollering.”
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Clark’s ex, 23-year-old James Franklin Quick, of Red Springs, North Carolina, has been arrested for allegedly pouring accelerant on the dog and setting it on fire.
Cocoa was initially taken to Cape Fear Animal Hospital before being transferred to Animal Emergency Hospital and Urgent Care in Raleigh for treatment because she was suffering.
Quick was charged with animal cruelty. He didn’t understand why people were making such “a big fuss over a dog,” he said in his first court appearance.
Officials said Quick has threatened to kill Clark, who said she is afraid he will retaliate. His bond was increased to $250,000. The two once dated, but Clark has denied any relationship between them.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Veterinarians said Cocoa was euthanized at North Carolina State University.
According to MyFox8.com, the following message about Cocoa was posted to the Animal Emergency Hospital and Urgent Care’s Facebook page:
We would like to share with everyone what happened to Cocoa, the burned puppy who transferred to our hospital from Fayetteville. On presentation at our facility, our doctors were concerned about the severity of Cocoa's condition. We were immediately aware her condition was much worse than Russell's. In comparison, we felt able to manage Russell's pain from the moment he came in, and despite the severity of Russell's injuries, we remained confident that he would be able to have an excellent quality of life once recovered. With Cocoa, her wounds were so critical and her pain so great, despite strong medication, our doctors were very concerned about her quality of life.
Cocoa was given round-the-clock care by our doctors and technicians over the weekend. Despite aggressive treatment, our concerns mounted about her ability to recover and lead a happy and healthy life.
Due to the nature of Cocoa's situation, she was transferred to NC State University's College of Veterinary Medicine today to be assessed by the specialists at that hospital. Cocoa was anesthetized so her wounds could be explored and upon examination, the doctors at NC State agreed with our belief that Cocoa was suffering and did not have a good prognosis for recovery.
After discussing the situation with Cocoa’s owner, the difficult decision was made to let Cocoa go and end her pain. She was humanely euthanized at NC State this afternoon. We are terribly saddened by this situation, and our hearts go out to Cocoa, her family, and all those involved in her care. We would like to remind everyone that it is a delicate situation. We ask that everyone respect Cocoa’s family, and be considerate of their loss when commenting.