CNN Upset Over the 'Ruined Lives' of Steubenville Rapists, Barely Mentions Victim (Video)
On Sunday, CNN broke the news of a guilty verdict in the highly-publicized rape case in Steubenville, Ohio (video below).
According to The Atlantic Wire, Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21, while Mays could be locked up until age 24.
CNN and numerous news media outlets showed enormous sympathy for the teen rapists, while little, if any, for the victim.
CNN host Candy Crowley and reporter Poppy Harlow lamented on how the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent little time on the 16-year-old victim who was brutally gang-raped.
Crowley said that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been, while Harlow said it was “incredibly difficult” to see “these two young men, who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”
“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” said Harlow.
CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom while Harlow added: “I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement. It was very difficult to watch.”
Crowley then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan: “What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?”
“There’s always that moment of just, lives are destroyed,” Callan lamented. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law. That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”
UPDATE: A Change.org petition has been launched demanding an apology from CNN.