The FBI is looking for a U.S. Army recruit who is believed to be planning an attack on a U.S. military base.
Fox News learned of the search when it obtained portions of an alert issued by the FBI’s Kansas City Division. That alert had been sent to the Kansas City Police Department as well as the U.S. Marine Corps. It states the recruit may be planning a “Fort Hood-inspired jihad against U.S. Soldiers.”
The recruit is referred to in the alert as “Booker” and says he also goes by the name Muhammad Abdullah Hassan. He was recruited by the U.S. Army in Kansas City, Mo., in February and was scheduled to report for basic training April 7. Hassan was discharged by the Army last week after authorities learned of his plan.
The alert was titled, “Planned Fort Hood-inspired Jihad against US Soldiers by Army Recruit.”
It read in part:
“On 20 March 2014, the Kansas City Division FBI became aware of an individual named BOOKER aka Muhammad Abdullah Hassan who had publicly stated his intention to commit jihad, bidding farewell to his friends and making comments indicating his jihad was imminent.”
A Marine Corps spokesman has confirmed that the alert is legitimate but officials have not yet commented on it. A spokeswoman at the FBI Kansas City Division simply told Fox News that she did “not have any information to provide in regards to your inquiry.”
The Fort Hood shooting, referenced in the alert, took place in 2009 when Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire at the Fort Hood Soldier Readiness Processing Center. That facility administered medical checkups to soldiers preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. The rampage left 13 dead and another 32 wounded.
Hasan, who acted as his own attorney at his trial, was convicted and sentenced to death in August. If he is put death he will be the first service member executed since 1961 according to The Washington Post.