Alexandria Hill, 2, Dies After Being Placed in Abusive Foster Homes (Video)
Joshua Hill's daughter, Alexandria, was taken from him and his wife in November 2012 because they smoked pot in their Round Rock, Texas, home while their child slept.
The 2-year-old child was then placed in an abusive foster home by a private agency contracted by Child Protective Services.
“She would come to visitation with bruises on her, and mold and mildew in her bag," Hill told KVUE-TV (video below). "It got to a point where I actually told CPS that they would have to have me arrested because I wouldn't let her go back."
Alexandria was placed in a second foster home with Sherill Small in Rockdale, Texas, seven months ago.
It would be her last home.
The toddler was rushed to a hospital last Monday night with severe head injuries. Alexandria was later flown to Scott and White Children’s Emergency Hospital in Temple, Texas.
“They wouldn't tell me what condition she was in or what was wrong or what had happened," Hill said. "The only thing they would tell me is I needed to be there. When I got there, I found out that Alex was in a coma."
Last Wednesday night, Alexandria was taken off life support and died.
Police said the foster mother, Small, could not come up with a story that would explain Alexandria's severe injuries.
Last Thursday, they arrested Small and charged her with murder — her bond is set at $100,000.
Another foster child was removed from Small's home on Monday.
While the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) removes children such as Alexandria from their homes, they leave it up private agencies to do background checks on all foster homes.
Texas Mentor, the private agency that placed Alexandria in two dangerous homes, had 15 deficiencies for its Austin branch during the past two years, according to state records.
Hill admits he and his wife smoked pot when Alexandria was asleep, but added: “We never hurt our daughter. She was never sick, she was never in the hospital and she never had any issues until she went into state care.”