College Freshman Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick Dead After Reaction to Peanut Oil in Cookie

| by
article imagearticle image

College freshman Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick died from eating half a cookie that was made with peanut oil after avoiding eating nuts for more than 10 years. The 19-year-old had known that he was hyper-allergic since he was eight.

The young man was home in Massachusetts for Spring Break after leaving Bryant University in Rhode Island when the tragedy occurred. He and a friend were out driving and bought some cookies. Groezinger-Fitzpatrick’s friend tried one of the cookies and said that he tasted no trace of peanuts, reports The Daily Mail.

The international business major said, “Ah, the hell with it, I'm sure it's fine,” and bit into the cookie. Within minutes, that decision had severe consequences. Groezinger-Fitzpatrick was doubled up in pain and turning black and blue when his mother, Robin Fitzpatrick, tried to find one of her son’s Epi-Pens. Unfortunately they were still packed away in his luggage so all she could come up with was one of the life-saving epinephrine auto-injectors she had at the house.

After noticing that her Epi-Pen was expired by two months, Fitzpatick consulted with medical professionals and was told over the phone by emergency operators not to use the medication. She was later told by a doctor that she should have used the expired Epi-Pen but that it might not have worked.

Groezinger-Fitzpatrick was taken to the hospital and had CPR performed on him by 15 emergency workers but it was no use. “I was begging so much,” Fitzpatrick said. “These people were crying and working on him, thinking, ‘We're only doing this for the mother.”’

Although he will never fulfill his dream of studying in Australia, Groezinger-Fitzpatrick was a registered organ donor, so his wish of saving a life will be granted.

Source: (The Daily Mail)