Society

College Basketball Player Dies Choking On Gum In Her Sleep

| by Lisa Fogarty
article imagearticle image

A rising female college basketball player reportedly died in her sleep after choking on gum.

Shanice Clark, 21, was reportedly found dead in her dorm room at California University of Pennsylvania, where she was a senior and forward on the school's Vulcans basketball team, reports the New York Daily News. She was reportedly rushed to Monongahela Valley Hospital, but could not be revived and was pronounced dead at 4:10 a.m. Sunday, reports the Daily Mail.

Police determined that Clark, who was from Toronto, Canada, died after choking on gum that was in her mouth when she fell asleep. Her death is still being investigated and the results of a blood test and autopsy reports are pending.

Clark was a 6-foot star player on her team who has been described by the school’s athletic director Karen Hjerpe as “a bright student and talented player.” She reportedly planned on pursuing a career as a broadcast journalist.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Geraldine M. Jones, interim university president, released the following statement after Clark’s death: “Our thoughts today are with the family of Shanice Clark, a senior from Ontario, Canada, who passed away early this morning. On behalf of California University of Pennsylvania, I extend my deepest sympathy to all of Shanice's family and friends. She will be missed by her teammates and coaches, her classmates, and by the entire campus community.”

Sources: New York Daily News, Daily Mail/Photo Credit: California University of Pennsylvania