Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton took to Facebook to defend Barron Trump from internet bullies, but then proceeded to be critical of President Donald Trump.
Chelsea stood up for 10-year-old Barron Trump in a Facebook post on Jan. 22, the Daily Mail reported. The post came after Barron was subjected to cruel jokes from social media users, including one "Saturday Night Live" writer who said the boy will turn into a "homeschool shooter."
"Barron Trump deserves the chance every child does - to be a kid," Chelsea wrote. "Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids."
The post was shared nearly 9,000 times, with thousands of comments -- some in support of Chelsea's post and others critical.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"I personally find her message convoluted... as a child of a president she of all people should not make a statement about the Trump boy's childhood while making a point about opposing his fathers policies... the two things are unrelated and should be kept separate...IMHO," wrote one Facebook user.
"This seems very half-hearted to me," wrote another. "Are you standing up for this child, or are you using it as an opportunity to make a political point?"
"I would love to know which policies she's referring to that are going to hurt children," another commenter wrote. "Would it be the one getting the drugs off the streets or actually helping the inner cities or maybe protecting them from terrorist threats in their own country or could it be protecting them while they are still in the womb and late term. Just curious."
Despite a few critics, most social media users supported Chelsea's message.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- "Thank you, Chelsea. Exactly what a woman who grew up in the White House should say," wrote one Facebook user. "You are the finest product of an American Presidential legacy. I am your age and grew up with you and thought you were just like me and people should leave you alone.
- "As a future Child and Adolescent psychiatrist, I can say with confidence -Hillary and Bill's finest job is you."
- "Chelsea, thank you for being classy like your mama, HRC. I love that you are advocating for all children," wrote another. "We know that the public doesn't always remember the children of the public figures as deserving of privacy.
- "We all remember the haters who went after you, the Bush twins and the Obama girls. Do not let us repeat the cycle.
- "Call the POTUS out on all his lies and bad policies but leave the child alone.....only Baron I am speaking about here. The adult children are already swimming in the crap and are fair game for criticism just like the father."
- "Thank you Chelsea for this post. Family especially the children are off limits! On a side note I thought Barron did a fabulous job," another Facebook user wrote. "He is only 10 years old. He even helped entertain his young nieces and nephews.
- "He is a great example for other 10 year olds. Also your family was a class act. Proud of how you all showed up and acted. Thanks for being a great example for America."