A Walmart employee in Ontario is saying she was fired for confronting a customer about leaving his dog in a hot truck with the windows rolled up. Carla Cheney was in the parking lot of the store talking with some coworkers when she noticed a man leaving his dog in a truck.
"I said, 'Is this really happening?" Cheney said. "I'm going to give him about five or 10 minutes and then I'm going to call the police.'" After she called the police, an officer came and took the man’s license plate and then headed into the store to try and locate him.
The man eventually came out of the store, got in his truck and pulled up to the table where Cheney was sitting with her colleagues, The Inquisitr reported.
"He pulled up to us and said, 'Hello, ladies, how are you?'" Cheney said. "I said, 'You shouldn't leave your dog in the car.'"
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
It didn't end there.
"He told me it was none of my business and I said that that was fine, that if I saw him do it again I would just call the police next time," Cheney said. "He said he was no longer going to be shopping at that Walmart, and I said, 'OK.'"
Later on that day, Cheney was called into the manager’s office. Apparently this was not the first time the two had spoken about issues involving a dog left in a hot car.
”He told me then that I was terminated, he wanted my vest, my badge and to clean out my locker and that I needed to leave,” Cheney said. “The manager said I was fired because I was rude to a customer, but I felt because I was not even on the clock, it shouldn’t have been an issue anyways. And I don’t think it should be an issue even if I was on the clock … because it’s on the news and we’re being told not to leave animals and children in cars.”
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Dogs can die from heatstroke in as little as 20 minutes if they are left in a hot car, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.