Society

Parents Arrested After 2-Year-Old Dies From Morphine

| by Brendan Kelly
Thomas Marvin Howard and Christian Lachelle MorganThomas Marvin Howard and Christian Lachelle Morgan

A Florida couple has been arrested after police say their 2-year-old son died from eating a morphine pill he found on the floor.

Thomas Marvin Howard and Christian Lachelle Morgan have been arrested on charges of aggravated child neglect after their 2-year-old son, Bradley, ate a morphine pill and died, according to the Bradford County Sheriff’s Office, The Florida Times-Union reports.

Howard bought two morphine pills from a co-worker on April 1 and drank four to five beers on his way home from work. The arrest report says the father dropped one of his pills when he walked inside his house. 

The parents told police they searched for the lost pill, but they believe Bradley found it and ate it.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

The couple reportedly neglected to take action after realizing their son took the pill, and instead drank more alcohol and smoked marijuana, according to The Gainesville Sun. They went to sleep and when Morgan woke up the next morning, she found Bradley's dead body.

On June 16, the parents were arrested after toxicology reports confirmed morphine was in Bradley's system at the time of his death.

The couple's two other children were taken into custody by the Florida Department of Children and Families.

Howard is being held on $350,000 bail, while Morgan is being held on $250,000 bail, according to the Times-Union.

Sources: The Florida Times-UnionThe Gainesville Sun / Photo Credit: The Florida Times-Union

Are the parents directly responsible for their son's death?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%