Society

Bike Mob Who Attacked Alexian Lien Planned Times Square Rally (Video)

| by

Sunday’s motorcycle rampage through New York that ended with one paralyzed biker and a severely beaten and injured SUV driver was supposed to be a rally through Times Square, similar to the one caught on YouTube video last year.

NYPD officers were ready for the herd of bikers and prevented them from taking over the Square, busting several motorcyclists and confiscating a number of motorcycles, according to the New York Post.

Cops were tipped off by comments on the YouTube video that promoted this year’s rally for “Sept. 29 hbp 2013,” a week ago.

On Aug. 24 2012, hundreds of bikers on motorcycles and three-wheeled ATVs ran through Midtown in broad daylight, speeding through both lanes of traffics and disregarding red lights.

This past Sunday ended disturbingly when a man who was driving with his wife and child in a SUV was chased 50 blocks and severely beaten by a group of bikers.

The couple was driving down the West Side Highway when the bikers surrounded their Range Rover near 125th Street in Harlem, forcing Alexian Lien, 33, to come to a stop.

As several bikers got off their motorcycles and approached the vehicle, Lien hit the gas and ran over several bikes and one biker, breaking his legs and leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.

Angry bikers then chased the family more than 50 blocks until he left the highway in Washington Heights. The chase was recorded by a biker’s helmet camera and uploaded on YouTube.

When Lien was stopped, one of the bikers was able to use his helmet to smash open the driver’s side window and yank Lien from the car. Lien was slashed, beaten and given two black eyes and cuts that needed stitches.

Rosalyn Ng, wife of Lien issued a statement on Thursday and said while they sympathized with the injured biker, her husband “was forced under the circumstances to take the actions that he did in order to protect the lives of our entire family” and should not be blamed for running over and injuring one of the bikers according to Newsday.

 “Unfortunately, instead, we were placed in grave danger by a mob of reckless and violent motorcyclists,” Ng said in the statement.

Police said Thursday that so far they have issued 5,498 summonses to motorcycle operators and seized 1,440 motorcycles, and dirt bikes citywide.  Patrol officers have made 437 arrests, including 187 for reckless endangerment or reckless driving.

Authorities have only arrested one biker in connection with the actual chase, according to the New York Post.

Christopher Cruz, of Passaic, NJ, was freed on $1,500 bond Wednesday on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment.

The injured biker, Edwin Mieses, 32, remains in a medically induced coma at St. Luke Hospital.

Sources: New York Post, Newsday