Instead of preparing for the fun of Halloween festivities, a 5-year-old Clearfield, Utah, boy is hospitalized in serious condition on Thursday, after surgery to repair internal damage and close the serious wounds he suffered when he was attacked on Wednesday by the family’s newly adopted Pit Bull, reports KSL.
The attack occurred about 1:00 p.m. at the family’s home in the 1100 block of South State in Clearfield, the report says. No one actually saw what happened, according to Davis County Animal Care and Control Director Clint Thacker.
The 2-1/2-year-old neutered, male Pit Bull and the child were reportedly alone together in the yard playing. When the mother went outside she found the dog on top of the mauled body of her child.
Police officials believe the Pit Bull attacked the child and dragged him through the yard, Thacker said. The boy's family had just adopted the dog from the local animal shelter two weeks before, according to KSL.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Thacker told the Salt Lake City Tribune that the boy sustained broken ribs, a gash over his eye, a facial bite that nearly removed an ear, and multiple slashing wounds on his stomach so severe that paramedics found him with his intestines on the point of spilling out, Thacker said.
"I heard that there were some intestines that came out," he said. "It was a through-bite that tore into the inner part of the child — the actual cavity. It didn't just break the skin; it punctured into the bowels."
Animal control officers captured the Pit Bull in the back yard. The owners relinquished the animal to Davis County Animal Care and Control and requested that it be euthanized. Rabies tests will be conducted on the dog.
The boy was transported to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City by ambulance and AirMed, according to Thacker.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Thacker said doctors anticipate that the 5-year-old will stay hospitalized for at least another week. He is expected to physically recover. However, Thatcher said he fears deep, psychological wounds will affect the boy for a lifetime.
"It was very severe and very unfortunate,” he said, “this child may now be afraid of dogs for the rest of his life."