Society

Officer Saves Dog With Mouth-To-Mouth After House Fire

| by Amanda Andrade-Rhoades
Screen Capture.Screen Capture.

Pam and Tim Curray’s home in Lascassas, Tennessee, went up in flames on May 6 because of an electrical fire. The family was able to get out safely, but their 5-year-old bichon frise, Abby, was trapped inside the home.

Pam considers her dog her third child. “She’s just a big part of the family,” she told WKRN. 

Sgt. Jon Levi responded to the fire and went inside home to save the dog, which was unconscious in her kennel. “I just reached in and grabbed the dog and got the dog out and it was not breathing,” he said. Levi performed mouth-to-mouth CPR on the dog.

“Grabbed it by its muzzle and breathed into it a couple of times, and I felt it take a gasp of air,” he said. Abby began responding.

“It was good. It was neat,” he said. “To be honest with you, my first reaction was, ‘Wow. It worked.’”

Levi hadn’t been trained in animal resuscitation, but his actions aligned with the guidelines of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. It recommends placing a dog on its side and blowing into its nostrils while keeping the dog’s mouth shut.

Pam and Abby were reunited Levi at Oakland Middle School, where she works as a seventh grade science teacher.

“He didn’t have to do what he did, but God placed him there at the right time,” Pam said. “At the right place to do what he does, and I am forever grateful for that.”

The Currays gave Levi a cash donation for his mounted patrol fund as a token of appreciation. Abby is expected to make a full recovery.

Sources: WKRN, ASPCA

Image via WKRN