A viral video shows the moment a 6-week-old puppy gets treatment for mangoworm infestation in Africa.
The puppy is given the care it needs after passersby noticed that it was riddled with parasites, according to the Daily Mail.
In the shocking video below, the animal is seen whimpering as it has hundreds of worms squeezed from under its skin, which had become sore and inflamed.
The video was filmed by the organization Animal Care Gambia, a charitable veterinary clinic in Gambia, West Africa, after Dr. Michael Meyer, of Berlin, realized there were no facilities to tend to them and set up a veterinary surgery in 2009.
Mangoworm infestations, caused by the mango fly laying eggs and larvae growing under the skin of animals, is prevalent in Gambia.
According to the Daily Mirror, squeezing the larvae out is only usually recommended if there is no other medical assistance available, as burst parasites can cause serious infections.
The larvae, known scientifically as Cordylobia Anthropophaga, can also burrow into human skin, and grow there until they emerge and fall off.
(via the Daily Mail)
“They are very common in Gambia, every dog and gets them sooner or later,” the veterinary surgeon told MailOnline. “Usually the infestation is not bad, adult dogs can stand up to 100 maggots without being seriously affected. You will see/feel a lump under the skin and have to squeeze it out once the maggot is 3-4mm in diameter. To squeeze before won't work as the maggot has spikes and holds on to its host.”
The surgery spokesperson goes on to say: “They have to come out, that's the only way. Either when they are ready and fully developed by themselves, or by the owner/caretaker before that.
“The problem is that owner/caretaker often does not give a sh** or does not exist, we have a huge amount of dogs on the streets of the Gambia. That's my main work.”