Malory Steiner is just 12 years old, but she acted quickly when she noticed an elderly dog which had been left to die in a plastic garbage bag on Sunday afternoon.
Steiner discovered the pug in the plastic garbage bag near her Royalton, New York, home.
"The bag started walking down the road. I saw that it was starting to rip and it was around his neck," she told WKBW (video below).
Malory realized that the dog, which had been tossed out of a dark colored SUV, was an elderly pug and called her mother.
"There were just flies, gnats and the smell was just unbearable,” said Melissa Steiner, the girl's mother.
Animal control and the police were notified and they took the pug, which has been dubbed Teddy, to Buffalo Pug and Small Breed Rescue.
"He has some extensive skin issues, possibly allergies, mange, and not sure if he has some eye issues,” Chris Catchpole, a member of the rescue group, told WKBW. "The problems look like he's had them for a long time and this is not something new.”
Rescuers plan to place Teddy in a foster home for the remainder of his life given his advanced age.
According to an update on the rescue group’s Facebook page, Teddy has an old back injury and is suffering from kidney failure. He has serious skin allergies, but he has tested negative for mange.