An Oregon family is warning about the dangers of mylar balloons after their 8-year-old granddaughter was found unresponsive with a balloon over her head.
Pat McGloghlon told KFOR that her granddaughter went to bed at around 9 p.m. on Feb. 24 after a birthday party at their home that evening. When the girl’s father went to check on his daughter about 20 minutes later, he found her in her bed, unconscious.
"My son went in to check on her and all he saw was a foot sticking out of her bed,” McGloghlon said. “Then he took the covers off and found the balloon on her head. He put her on the floor and cut the balloon off her head. He started CPR and we called 911."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Portland firefighters responded to the family’s home at about 9:30 p.m. They attempted to revive the girl for nearly an hour, but were unable to do so.
McGloghlon said she hopes that by sharing their story, other families will be able to avoid a similar tragedy.
“Everybody just hug their kids and tell them you love them,” she said.
According to officials, the young girl was trying to suck the helium out of the balloon before she suffocated, KATU reports.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
The girl's death was officially ruled an accident and will not be investigated.